You may not have thought of it, but cooking your salmon in the toaster is a great way to cook salmon, especially if you are cooking for just one or two people. A toaster oven uses less power, doesn’t heat your house up as much.
How Long to Cook Salmon in a Toaster Oven
If you are broiling or baking your salmon, allow 4-6 minutes per half-inch of thickness, turning once halfway through. In general, this will mean ~10 minutes for an average salmon fillet. Add an additional 5 minutes if you are baking in foil or if the salmon is covered in sauce. Of course, you will need to adjust these times for your specific toaster oven as needed.
Tip: cooking with an oiled sheet of aluminum foil on your pan makes clean up a breeze and will help keep your salmon from sticking.
Broiling Salmon in the Toaster Oven
I’m a huge fan of broiling my salmon. It is fast, easy and results in super tasty salmon. One important note is that you should never broil your salmon on top of parchment paper. While it is fine for baking, the heat from a broiler can make it burn.
Basic Toaster Oven Broiled Salmon Fillets
- 2 Salmon fillets ~1" thick
- sea salt to taste
- lemon juice
- Set the toaster oven to broil on high
- Put a sheet of foil on your pan, and coat with oil or cooking spray.
- Place the salmon fillets skin side down on the pan and sprinkle with salt.
- Put the salmon in the toaster oven and cook for ~10 minutes turning a little more than halfway through.
- Test for doneness, remove from the pan and plate with a slotted turner. Sprinkle with lemon juice and enjoy.
Baking Salmon in the Toaster Oven
While broiling salmon is quick and easy, baking salmon in your toaster oven gives you the advantage of being able to cook with sauces. If you tried to broil a sauce-covered salmon fillet, you would wind up with undercooked salmon and burned sauce, which to paraphrase Alton Brown, is not good eats.
Toaster Oven Roasted Salmon and Asparagus
- 10-12 Spears asparagus
- 2 Fillets salmon fillets
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- lemon juice to taste
- Preheat your toaster oven to 425°
- Coat your cooking pan with oil or cooking spray
- Add asparagus and salmon to the pan, drizzle with oil and sprinkle with salt.
- Place in the toaster oven and bake ~15 minutes until the asparagus is done and the salmon cooked through.
- Remove to plates, drizzle salmon with lemon juice and serve with mustard for dipping the asparagus in.