Salmon Cakes from Fresh Salmon
Most of the time, salmon cakes/patties are made from canned salmon. I had some salmon that had been in the freezer too long and needed to get used up, so salmon patties it is for them! This is a fairly easy recipe, using all the basic ingredients you should have at home.
You make these and eat them fresh or freeze them for later. If you do freeze them, wrap tightly, and thaw completely before reheating. Do not reheat in a microwave. Use a pan on low to medium heat.
Salmon Cakes Made With Fresh Salmon
Easy recipe for delicious salmon patties made with fresh salmon instead of canned.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup minced onion
- 2 tablespoons minced red bell pepper
- 2 tablespoons minced celery
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon capers
- 1 ¼ pounds fresh wild salmon coarsely chopped
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- ¼ cup panko bread crumbs
- 1 egg
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 1 pinch seafood seasoning such as Old Bay®
- 1 tablespoon panko bread crumbs or to taste
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or as needed
- Heat extra virgin olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Cook and stir onion, red pepper, celery, and a pinch of salt in hot oil until onion is soft and translucent, ~5 minutes.
- Add capers; cook and stir until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat and cool to room temperature.
- Stir salmon, onion mixture, mayonnaise, 1/4 cup bread crumbs, garlic, mustard, cayenne, seafood seasoning, salt, and ground black pepper together in a bowl until well-mixed.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate until firmed and chilled, 1 to 2 hours.
- Form salmon mixture into four 1-inch thick patties; sprinkle remaining panko bread crumbs over each patty.
- Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium-heat. Cook patties in hot oil until golden and cooked through, 3 to 4 minutes per side.